The Leeming Spartan Cricket Club’s Safe Transport Policy is aimed to ensure the health and safety of all members when departing the Club, to prevent above-limit driving.
For more information about the Leeming Spartan Cricket Club’s policies, please click here.
A downloadable version of the policy is available here.
This policy will help to ensure our club:
- Meets its duty of care in relation to the health and safety of our members, volunteers and visitors who attend any club games, special events, functions and other activities.
- Upholds the reputation of our club, our sponsors and partners.
- Understands the risks associated with alcohol use and driving, and our role in minimising risk.
- Educates our members about standard drinks.
Ensuring members, visitors and guests getting to and from club games, activities and events safely is an important part of being a responsible, healthy club.
While Leeming Spartan Cricket Club wishes to avoid club members becoming intoxicated and notes the recommendation by the National Health and Medical Research Council to consume no more than four drinks in one sitting, as part of our club’s duty of care we encourage our members to plan safe transport home.
This will reduce the risk of drink-driving, injury or worse.
Alcohol and drugs affect pedestrians and drivers’ abilities to stay safe. They affect decision-making, reaction times, speed and distance judgements, concentration, balance, perception and alertness. It can also increase risk-taking behaviour by giving a pedestrian or driver a false sense of confidence.
Sporting clubs such as the Leeming Spartan Cricket Club help prevent drink driving related tragedies in the community by improving safety around transport and minimising the risk of developing a drinking culture.
The Leeming Spartan Cricket Club recognises that:
- Drink driving is one of the main causes of road deaths in Australia.
- Driving when over the legal blood alcohol limit (0.05) is illegal and hazardous to individuals and the wider community.
- Mixing drugs (including prescription medication) with other drugs or alcohol can seriously affect the ability to drive safely.
Transport For Club Activities:
This safe transport policy applies for all activities undertaken by the club that involve the serving and/or consumption of alcohol.
The Leeming Spartan Cricket Club will:
- Promote strategies that encourage members to plan how they’ll get home safely before they go out e.g. pre-arranged transport.
- Print safe transport messages on relevant club activity and event invitations or flyers.
- Ensure the MC for events or club committee members advise attendees that the club is a Good Sports accredited club, communicate the safe transport options and regularly remind attendees to behave responsibly around alcohol.
- Ensure telephone calls can be made free of charge to call a sober person to provide transport from the club or venue.
Where available, the Leeming Spartan Cricket Club will also consider:
- Use of a club or community bus (such as council, school or tourist buses) and;
- The bus or transport provided will be an alcohol-free zone (i.e. no alcohol will be permitted on the bus).
- The bus will not be used to transport members between licensed venues.
- People who have consumed alcohol can get home safely from the bus drop off point.
- The Leeming Spartan Cricket Club will use a range of taxi or ride share strategies such as;
- Free telephone calls to arrange a taxi to provide transport from the club or venue.
- The club committee will pre-order taxis to arrive at a club or venue at the conclusion of a club event or function.
- Encourage club members to utilise a ride share service.
Our Liquor Licence For Any Events And Functions:
The Leeming Spartan Cricket Club will promote low alcohol and non-alcoholic drinks as options and available at reduced prices.
Bar staff and any servers of alcohol will encourage members, volunteers and visitors to:
- Consume food while drinking alcohol at the club.
- Consume alcohol in moderation bearing in mind our commitment to the Good Sports program, its philosophies and policies.
- Make alternate safe transport arrangements if they are considered to be intoxicated or at risk of exceeding the legal limit (e.g. free call to a taxi/friend/family/designated driver).
Whilst engaging in club activities, members, volunteers and visitors will:
- Accept responsibility for their own behaviour, use good judgment and take a responsible approach towards alcohol consumption.
- Encourage and assist others to use good judgment regarding alcohol consumption.
- Make alternative transport arrangements to get to and from the activity safely.
- Share a taxi or ride share (where available) with friends.
- Consider arranging overnight accommodation.
Promoting This Policy:
The Leeming Spartan Cricket Club will:
- Educate members, volunteers and guests about our policy and the benefits of having such a policy.
- Implement strategies to create awareness of safe transport messages to club members (e.g. display standard drink posters/ cards to help patrons recognise what standard drinks are and the implications on drink driving).
- Ensure this policy is easily accessible and will promote it via our website, social media, clubhouse notice board, newsletter and presentations.
This policy will be reviewed annually to ensure it remains relevant to club operations and reflects both community expectations and legal requirements.
Enquiries Regarding This Policy:
|Contact:||C/- The Secretary
|Phone Number:||0438 005 493|
Please visit www.goodsports.com.au for information regarding the Good Sports program.
Contacting The Leeming Spartan Cricket Club:
You may also get in touch with our Privacy Officer, Daniel Coombs, for any questions regarding this information by contacting him at email@example.com, or via the Club’s primary contact phone on 0478 982 043.
Authorised By The Leeming Spartan Cricket Club Committee on behalf of the Leeming Spartan Cricket Club (Inc.) (ABN 24 114 629 534).
© Leeming Spartan Cricket Club (2020), All Rights Reserved
The Leeming Spartan Cricket Club (Inc.) logo is a copyright of the Leeming Spartan Cricket Club (Inc.) (ABN 24 114 629 534) and is not to be used without express written permission from the Leeming Spartan Cricket Club (Inc.).
Under the Liquor Control Act 1988, it is an offence:
• to sell or supply liquor to a person under the age of 18 years on licensed or regulated premises; or
• for a person under the age of 18 years to purchase, or attempt to purchase, liquor on licensed or regulated premises.
Licence Number: 6040097022, Licence Class: Club License, Licensee: Leeming Sports Association – John Connell Reserve